Sunday, January 26, 2014

Still Life in Shadows

At fifteen, Gideon Miller left his sleepy Amish town and oppressive father behind. Working in a car garage over a decade later, he has earned the title of  the "Getaway Savior" for other Amish teens wanting to escape their old fashioned life style. But, when his brother shows up on Gideon's doorstep, his past comes back in full force and Gideon is forced to turn to the true Savior.
I was really excited about this book, and found that it wasn't what I expected. I thought that the characters were all a bit childlike and hard to relate with. I realize that there are troubles with the Amish way of life, but I thought that things didn't need to so black and white about all Amish. It would be like saying that all homeschooling families produce males who are patriarchal. While there are problems with that, not all are like that. So, I would only give this book a 3 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't like this one, since it looks like it could be interesting. Have you read any of her other books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "Rain Song" by her and enjoyed it immensely! I'm thinking of trying "Wedding Invitation", since it looks like a cute story.

    ReplyDelete