Monday, September 14, 2020

Nine

 

Zoe Johnson spent most of her life living in the shadows, never drawing attention to herself, never investing in people or places. But when a wide-eyed, bedraggled teenager with no memory walks into the diner where Zoe works, everything changes. Now, against her better judgment, Zoe, who has been trying to outrun her own painful memories of the past, finds herself attempting to help a girl who doesn't seem to have any past at all. The girl knows only one thing: she must reach a woman in Corpus Christi, Texas, hundreds of miles away, before the government agents who are searching for her catch up to them.

Award-winning author Rachelle Dekker throws you into the middle of the action and keeps the pressure on in this page-turning story that, asks Are we who the world says we are--or can we change our story and be something more?

My thoughts: Where to start with this book? I thought that, overall, it is well written and the story keeps the reader wanting to find out what is going to happen. Especially with the suspense behind a woman losing her life to protect a teenage girl who has no memory of events before that day. I liked Zoe, as she helped shelter a girl she knew nothing about, getting sucked into more than she bargained for. 
I didn't love this story though. It was just a little to violent and I was disappointed that there weren't more surprising twists. I was kind of hoping that Lucy was hiding another secret among the others that she had hidden in her memories, though I don't want to spoil the story and say what I was wanting. 
I think this book is just geared towards a different reader than me. If you like suspenseful stories with a science and a fantasy theme (it's kind of hard to pinpoint the genre of this story) then I would recommend picking up this book!
I received this book from Celebrate Lit. This is my honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment