Monday, April 24, 2017

Take ten(ish) things that will instantly make me not want to read a book



1. Violence
In movies and books, I'm not interested in unnecessary violence. I like my mysteries and war stories, but not if they are graphic.

2. Junk
I don't enjoy a story if it is going to have curse words and "scenes".

3. Horror movie style suspense
Yeah, I have an active imagination as it is, so I if a book is suppose to creep readers out, I don't even pick it up.

4. Science fiction
Don't get me wrong, a little bit of the genre is okay, but I won't pick up a book if it is hard core Sci-Fi.;)

5. Stories that glorify abuse
I don't think abuse is okay, and I shudder at what books like Shades of Gray are teaching the next generation. That sort of relationship is not okay in any way, shape, or form.

6. Steamy romance
Yes, I like my stories with a bit of romance, but I like for there to be something else to the story as well.

7. Modernizing Regency
This genre is just so wrong to me.

8. Love triangles
These can be done well, but rarely....

9. Overly gorgeous characters
I like characters I can relate to.;)

10. Insta love
I will read these on occasion, but I generally am turned off by it.

9 comments:

  1. Modernizing regency? I haven't even heard of that, heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps because it is a term I came up with, but it's where an author feels the need to put very modern characters (women lib type or extremely loose morals) in the Regency period. I'm all for a strong heroine, but they would not of been radical feminists. And, sure there were people with loose morals, but they weren't mainstream back then.

      Delete
  2. I don't read a lot of sci-fi either, especially the really complicated stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always baffled by stories where everybody's beautiful and fit. What kind of alternate universe is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am all for lovely characters, but I really just enjoy books about people with character, who have more then their good looks to recommend them.
      Most people are lovely, if you take the time to get to know them, but not drop dead gorgeous, could of been a movie star.;)

      Delete
  4. God, I absolutely hate love triangles. They are filled with drama and all the horrible things *shudders* Insta love is also annoying as heck - attraction is ok, but LOVE? Please no. Great list! :)

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete