Monday, February 27, 2017

Take Ten: books I liked more than I thought I would



1. The Chronicles of Narnia

Yes, it's weird to admit this now, but this series had quite a few strikes against it. Part of that had to do with being traumatized by watching a cartoon version of this one (my mom had heard it was a good story. This is why, as a parent, you should always screen movies first. lol) at a young age. I was also pretty young when I first started the series. I'm glad I stuck with it! So, moral of the story: stick with something until you have given it a fair chance since it just might surprise you.;)

2. Harry Potter

There was some pretty mixed reviews about this series when I was growing up, so I didn't read it until I was an adult. It surprised me just how well written the books are and they are now a favorite!

3. Lord of the Rings

Apparently, I had a thing against fantasy style series when I was young.;) This was one I had to grow up a bit before fully appreciating. I had such a hard time keeping everyone straight until I watched the first movie...;)

4. Emma

A lot of critics and people I know don't care for the story of Emma, but I've always loved how she grows up over the course of the story. Not to mention, it's already been established that I like the girl next door stories, and this one is kind of a classics version.;)

5. King's Folly

My sister warned me that this series is a bit dark, but it is a fantasy style series based on history, which really sucked me in from the get go! I'm looking forward to starting King's Blood.

6. Valiant Hearts

While this series looked interesting to me when I first started it, I didn't realize just how much I would enjoy it!

7. The Hearts We Mend

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, and didn't think there was any way that the second book would measure up. I was thrilled to be wrong in this case.;)

8. When Love Arrives

This was another one where I loved the first book in the series. I also didn't think I would like a book with Brett as the hero, but it worked well!

9. The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill

To a certain extent, Klassen's books are hit and miss with me, some of them I really enjoy and some I have not been as crazy about. This one was SO good though! I look forward to the next book in the series.

10. An Elegant Facade

This is another one where I read the first book and wasn't sure I would like the main character in this one. I loved getting to know Georgina though!

Bonus:
Waves of Freedom

I hadn't read anything by Sarah before picking up this series. I need to go back and read the rest of her books now, since this series has been a fun look at women working during WWII.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah's novel (really any I've read by her) is beautiful. Narnia is also a nostalgic favorite at my house. In fact, I really need to read the rest. For a while, I was reading them in coloration to the film releases until that stopped. Glad you liked these more than expected. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read more of her books...
      You do need to read the rest of them, since they are easy reads. Perfect to read aloud on a road trip.;)

      Delete