Monday, September 15, 2014

Roar

The New Conservative Woman Speak Out

Popular political news commentator Scottie Nell Hughes tackles the myth of the weak and meek conservative American woman with a fighting spirit that refuses to be intimidated by the mainstream media.
The media and many politicians have defined today’s American woman as a bra-burning liberal who sees men as competitors and children as burdens. According to them, women want federal bureaucrats to run our schools. They need churches to pay for prescriptions that violate religious faith. They trust big government and mistrust our military, and they care more about obscure endangered species than endangered American jobs. Any woman who defies these stereotypes is marginalized and ignored— particularly if her outlook is bold, strong, conservative, and Christian. Scottie Hughes emphatically rejects those stereotypes—and with a ROAR, refuses to be ignored. She describes the strength of the new conservative woman in everyday life and politics, from her deep faith and spirituality to her love for family and children to her independence and refusal to participate in a manufactured war against men.
My thoughts: I found this book interesting. I guess I haven't really put much thought into being a conservative young woman and how that can go against the grain. (chalk it up to having a lot of conservative friends, I suppose. And, being used to marching to the beat of my own drum. lol) I thought that this book was interesting in how it addresses issues that conservative women face, and how it really makes sense to be conservative. The only small thing I didn't care for is the idea that you can't be conservative and concerned about the environment. I think that, especially as a conservative Christian. we should be mindful of  how we are called to be stewards over the earth. I think more people should be concerned about doing their part in recycling, gardening, and consuming less. But then, I might be an even rarer combination, a conservative young woman who is also part hippie (you know, minus the drugs, limited bathing, and free love). But I digress. This is a great book with a lot of interesting thoughts!
/

No comments:

Post a Comment