Friday, January 23, 2015

Sourdough English Muffins


So, I came across a couple of good recipes for making one's own sourdough English muffins. I love a good English muffin (or bagel) for breakfast, but a lot of the store bought ones have so much junk in them, to give them a longer shelf life. So, I was thrilled to find how easy it is to make my own!
I actually have a Levain starter, which has been going for a while now. If you don't wish to start one, then you could buy a sourdough starter.

Once you have your starter, make your sponge with
1 cup sourdough
1 cup white flour
1/3 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup milk

After mixing your sponge, allow it to sit overnight. When you get up the next morning, it will have expanded.

Then add:

3/4 cup white flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 T. honey

Fold the ingredients into the sponge, then turn onto a floured surface and need until everything is mixed in nicely. Once it is mixed together, roll until 1/2 inch and cut with a biscuit cutter or the opening of a cup. I will add that these are better if they are thinner, since they are easier to cook. I had to leave the thicker ones on there for longer, which resulted in the outside being more crunchy.
Once they are cut out, place on a pan and allow to rise for about ten minutes.
While they are rising, heat your skillet/griddle to 350 F (this is where the electric ones are nice!). Be sure to butter the pan before starting the heat!
Once your muffins have risen a bit, place them on your skillet/griddle and cook for about 8 minutes, turning them every minute or two, so they cook evenly.
I think these are best hot out of the pan! I just put some butter on them, but my daughter and husband loved them with apple butter. The batch made about 15 (2 1/2 inch).
Original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment