Things I dislike when it comes to romance in stories:
1. Characters who aren't faithful. I don't care if they are suppose to have changed because they magically met the right person. I still don't like it, since the cynic in me wonders how long "happily ever" will last.
2. Beautiful, stunningly gorgeous couple who have no depth to them. I'm sure most like pretty characters or handsome heroes, which I can agree with. It's the books that go on and on about how much the main characters resemble models that really get to me. There is no personality to fall in love with, as a reader!
3. Characters who use love for personal gain. Gale in the Hunger Games was kind of like this, in my eyes.
Things I like:
4. Boy next door. Probably because that's how it worked for me, though he didn't actually live next door.;)
5. Best friends, because I think it's cute to read about friends who try to figure out how to not possibly ruin their friendship.
6. A great love/hate relationship, like Darcy and Lizzy.
7. Snappy conversation with great come backs.
8. Comedy. Seriously, every good romance needs some comic relief.;)
9. Selfless love. I think it's so sweet when someone loves another person so much, that they are willing to let that person go.
10. A well suited couple.
Top ten is a meme created by Broke and Bookish
Oh I know what you mean - the player guy who sleeps with every girl he meets until he meets "the one". And then she reforms him....ReplyDelete
I've come across that one very often!
I also love that you have your own boy next door! :D That's wonderful!
It does bring out the pessimistic side of me when I come across romances like that. I generally abandon them.;)Delete
It is fun how it worked out! Somewhere along the way, he went from a fun guy to chat with to "I think I can spend the rest of my life with him". ;) I still feel that way.;)
I agree, I dislike when that one person changes them for the better, kinda thing. Especially if that person is unfaithful. And I do too enjoy selfless love, its heatbreaking but beautiful!ReplyDelete
Thanks for stopping by!
Courtney @ Storybook Slayers
I love when the selfless love works out, like with Peeta and Katniss.:)Delete
I think your point about beautiful characters that lack depth is a great one! :-) My TTTReplyDelete
Thank you! I'm afraid it can be my soap box....Delete
Love boy next door/best friend romances. Snappy conversations is always great. Comedy yeah another great one. Okay I'll stop there I agree with you on all of these.ReplyDelete
lol, thanks! I will be sure to check out your list now.:)Delete
Great list! Love triangles are at the top of my list of things I don't like. They are cliche and overused.ReplyDelete
I agree, though it wasn't one I thought of. It seems like they are especially over used after Hunger Games...:PDelete
GREAT LIST HERE!ReplyDelete
I love boy next door and bestfriend romances :D
My Top Ten Tuesday!
I'm heading over to your list now....;)
Aw, I like best friends too! I find it a cute plot. :)ReplyDelete
It does make for a cute plot!Delete
Ohh, I like these! I don't know how I could have forgotten to add the cheaters! Those are pretty bad. And the boy next door is always so fun! Great list :)ReplyDelete
I think there were just to many to choose from! I found myself thinking "why didn't I think of that one?" when reading other lists.;)Delete
Thanks for stopping by!